“Diversity” means more than just acknowledging and/or tolerating difference.
Diversity is a set of conscious practices that involve:
- Understanding and appreciating interdependence of humanity, cultures, and the natural environment.
- Practicing mutual respect for qualities and experiences that are different from our own.
- Understanding that diversity includes not only ways of being but also ways of knowing.
- Recognizing that personal, cultural and institutionalized discrimination creates and sustains privileges for some while creating and sustaining disadvantages for others.
- Building alliances across differences so that we can work together to eradicate all forms of discrimination.
Diversity encompasses multiple dimensions, including but not limited to the social and political constructions of race, culture, nationality, ethnicity, religion, ideas, beliefs, geographic origin, class, sexual orientation and identities, gender, gender identities and expressions, disability, and age.
Wells supports and protects diversity and values all individuals and groups free from prejudice; Wells strives to foster a climate of mutual respect. Diversity efforts start with the community we serve, particularly those from historically marginalized and underrepresented groups. Wells College is striving to promote diversity of thought, diversity of experience, and diversity of values.