We borrow these materials from other libraries all over the United States; we also loan materials to researchers from other institutions.
If you know the title or citation for a book, DVD, video, or CD:
- Check the Library Catalog to confirm that we do not own the title. Leave out articles at the beginning of the title (the,a, etc.).
- Search by title in the WorldCat database.
- At the results display, click on the title you want. Click on the ILL icon to the upper left and input your name and an email address. If there is no ILL icon, ask a staff member for assistance.
If you know the title or citation for a journal article:
- Check the Library Catalog to confirm that we do not own the journal containing the article.
- Click on Journal Tab above the search box on the library homepage.
- Type in the name of the journal. Leave out articles at the beginning of the title (the,a, etc.). You will find journals available through one or more databases or in print (print journals are shelved on the first floor). Check to make sure we have access to the correct year for the article you need.
- If we do not have the article, go to the Databases page, and click on ArticleFirst. Search for the article and click on the title once you have found it. Click on the ILL icon to the upper left, and input your name and an email address. If there is no ILL icon, ask a staff member for assistance.
Who may use ILL?
Students, faculty, and staff at Wells College, Wells community spouses and children, and Aurora community residents.
- We will not request a book or photocopy from a journal or newspaper that we already own or subscribe to unless our copy is missing or checked out.
- Most libraries will not lend reference books, theses, dissertations, or rare or archival materials.
- All ILL material is subject to immediate recall by the lending library.
- ILL privileges are dependent on cooperation with user responsibilities (see below).
How long does it take?
It can take anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks for an ILL to arrive. You may ask about the status of your request at any time.
Is there a cost?
We attempt to obtain materials from libraries that do not charge. If a library does charge, you are responsible for paying the charge but we will not proceed without your permission.
How will I be notified?
You will be notified by email when books, audiovisual material, and microforms arrive. We will use the email provided when you submitted the ILL request. You may pick up your ILLs at the Main Desk during regular library hours. You will receive articles either as PDFs (via email) or through campus mail. Articles are yours to keep. We will use the email provided when you submitted the ILL request.
How long is the loan period?
The lending library determines the loan period. It is usually 30 days. The due date will be on the paper band affixed to the ILL. Remember, an ILL may be recalled at any time. Certain bands indicate "Library use only" as determined by the lending library. You may continue to borrow the ILL until its due date. We will keep it shelved behind the Main Desk until it is due.
Can I renew an ILL?
In most instances, yes. Request a renewal before the ILL is due.
- Refusal to abide by the following may result in revocation of your ILL privileges:
- Never remove the paper band attached to an ILL. If the band does fall off, keep it and return it with the item.
- Return ILL materials on or before the due date on the paper band. If you think you will need an ILL longer, request a renewal. Renewals are granted by the lending library, not by Long Library staff. If a renewal request is denied, you must return the ILL immediately.
- If you receive email notification to return a recalled ILL, you must do so immediately.
- Return ILLs to the Main Desk or to the Resource Sharing Office.
- You are financially responsible for any damage to or loss of an ILL. The lending library determines damage and charges as appropriate.
- For overdue, recalled and/or lost ILLs, you will receive two warning notices by email. On your the third notice, a non-refundable $75 fee will be placed on your bookstore account.