About the Plan
In response to the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Strategic Plan Steering Committee of the Wells College Board of Trustees guided a rapid strategic planning prioritization process from August to October 2020. Inputs included the strategic plan approved by the board in February 2020 and the Bell Tower Committee report dated June 30, 2020. More than 90 members of the Wells College community participated in this process, including faculty, staff, students, alumnae/alumni and trustees.
The report from the Strategic Plan Steering Committee, dated Sept. 24, 2020, was subsequently amended by the trustees in October 2020 to include a specific focus on diversifying revenue opportunities. The planning goal was to develop strategic objectives and initiatives that would address persistent operational deficits and the short-term fiscal impact of the pandemic while setting the course for future growth and stability.
The College’s administrative leadership team accepted the combined Steering Committee and Trustee recommendations and developed a strategic financial plan to guide implementation. The Strategic Plan presented in this report, along with the strategic financial plan, were approved by the board on Feb. 12, 2021.
As a result of the planning process, five strategic objectives were identified:
- Ensure that the Wells College Educational Experience Offers Unmatched Value for Career Success, Lifelong Learning and a Brighter Future for All
- Invest in Enrollment Enhancement Initiatives to Increase First-year and Transfer Enrollment and Overall Student Retention
- Embody a Culture of Belonging That Empowers All to Thrive
- Build and Steward Our Financial and Data Resources to Deliver Positive Operating Margins
- Engage and Leverage the Wells Alumnae/Alumni Network to Increase Investment in Our Students, Their Future and Wells College
Strategic Planning Steering Committee
Vicki Keller Panhuise ’74, Trustee
Katie Fong ’06, Alumna Trustee
Deborah Gagnon, Professor of Psychology
Charles Kenyon, Dean of Students
Gerard Turbide, Vice President of Enrollment Services