The Intelligence Community's mission is to collect, analyze, and deliver foreign intelligence and counterintelligence information to America's leaders so they can make sound decisions to protect our country. Our customers include the president, policy-makers, law enforcement, and the military.
Learn more about the Intelligence Community
To successfully accomplish its mission, the Intelligence Community (IC) requires a diverse, professionally competitive and knowledgeable workforce in critical skill areas. Since 2004, the Intelligence Community Centers for Academic Excellence (IC CAE) Program Office has awarded grants to colleges and universities across the country to prepare students for a career in national security. Emphasizing diversity in gender, race and geography, the IC CAE Program helps prepare students for careers in intelligence by providing opportunities beyond standard post-secondary education.
Wells College Involvement
Wells College is part of a five-member consortium of IC CAE institutions, led by Syracuse University – the other schools in the consortium include CUNY-CCNY/Grove School of Engineering, CUNY/John Jay College of Criminal Justice, and Norfolk State University, all minority-serving institutions. Wells College was invited to participate in this IC CAE consortium precisely because of our strong focus on the liberal arts – our students have the potential to add much-needed diversity of academic background and cultural perspective to Intelligence Community agencies.
The 2023-24 Principal Investigator and coordinator of the Wells College IC CAE program is Dr. Leslie Schumacher.
What is the Intelligence Community?
There are 18 different organizations that make up the Intelligence Community, each focused on a different aspect of the overall mission. The IC CAE program is overseen by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI).
- Air Force Intelligence and Security Command
- Army Intelligence and Security Command
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Defense Intelligence Agency
- Department of Energy Office of Intelligence and Counterintelligence
- Department of Homeland Security Office of Intelligence and Analysis
- Department of State Bureau of Intelligence and Research
- Department of Treasury Office of Intelligence & Analysis
- Drug Enforcement Administration Intelligence Program
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Marine Corps Intelligence
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- National Reconnaissance Office
- National Security Agency
- Office of Naval Intelligence
- Office of the Director of National Intelligence
- U.S. Coast Guard Intelligence
- U.S. Space Force
Learn more about the Intelligence Community Center of Academic Excellence program: