Wells in Florence
Known for its world-class art and delicious food, Florence, Italy, offers an ideal study abroad destination for students looking for a smaller city and a wide range of course selections. In the Wells in Florence program, you’ll enroll at the Italian International Institute Lorenzo de’ Medici, located in the heart of Florence. Instruction is in English, and you’ll live in apartments or homestays within a short walk of classes, surrounded by all the timeless art and architecture that Florence has to offer. An orientation program will help prepare you for the trip to Italy, and our resident directors are there for you every step of the way to help you navigate the city and acclimate to a new culture abroad. The Wells study abroad program in Florence is also open to students from other colleges and universities as well as Wells College students. Learn more about the Wells College study abroad program in Florence.
Other Wells College Study Abroad and Off-Campus Study Programs
In addition to our popular study abroad program in Florence, Italy, we also offer opportunities to study abroad in destinations throughout Europe and around the globe—including Australia, Chile, Costa Rica, Japan, South Africa, and New Zealand—as well as off-campus programs in the United States.
- Start planning your study abroad adventure today. View a complete list of Wells College study abroad programs and destinations.
- As part of the study-abroad advising process, you will be required to complete a packet of signature forms before institutional approval is granted. You can find information about approval forms and study abroad program deadlines here: View study abroad application and forms. You will receive an updated signature form from the study abroad office after your first advising session.
- Make sure you meet the general study abroad regulations for Wells students. View study abroad eligibility requirements.
- At Wells, our students’ safety is our top priority, and our resident staff are available on-site, 24/7 in case of emergencies. View Wells study abroad emergency contacts.
Why Study Abroad?
A semester abroad can be a defining part of your undergraduate education, and an experience you’ll remember for a lifetime. If you’re considering a study abroad program but still not sure, here are a few reasons you might want to pursue a program overseas:
- Enhance your education. Our study abroad programs offer exciting academic opportunities at some of the world’s top colleges and universities. And when you graduate, employers and graduate schools alike look very highly on study abroad experiences.
- Broaden your perspective and appreciation for diversity. Study abroad is a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in a different culture, meet new people, experience other traditions, and discover new things about yourself in the process.
- Learn a new language. Fluency in a foreign language can be a major asset to your career. While some of our study abroad programs focus on intensive language instruction, others (such as the Florence, Italy program) are instructed in English, making it even easier to acclimate to a new language while continuing your undergraduate studies.
- Make new friends. When you study abroad, you’ll attend school and often live with students from your host country. As a result, many students find that their study abroad experience ends up creating lifelong friendships with people from distant parts of the world.
- Get the support you need. At Wells, we are here to support you on every step of your journey, and help you choose the right study abroad program for you. Learn more about study abroad programs at Wells.