Student Support Services (SSS) is a federal TRiO program sponsored and funded by the U.S. Department of Education designed to increase the retention and graduation rates of eligible students. We provide free services to help students persist and graduate from Wells College.
The TRiO Student Support Services program's primary goal is to provide wraparound services in an inclusive environment and foster a climate supportive of all program participants' success. Our office serves first-generation students, students from low-income backgrounds and students with a documented disability as they work toward earning their college degree. If you are one such student, we invite you to join our program and get started on enhancing your academic experience at Wells College.
Current Wells College students accepted into the TRiO-SSS program will gain access to an academic coordinator who will help you chart your academic and professional goals, assistance with securing services (tutors), and overcome obstacles and face challenges head-on. And as an added benefit, these services are provided free of charge to enrolled participants!
Along with support and encouragement, our program also provides the following resources free to participants, thanks to a grant from the U.S. Department of Education and support from Wells College:
TRiO-SSS students at Wells College have access to a variety of academic, personal, and cultural resources that help them grow as students and individuals. Click the sections below to read more and see if you qualify!
The TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) program at Wells College is committed to serving participants who are first-generation, low-income, and/or students with disabilities and helping them overcome academic, cultural and social barriers so they can succeed in higher education.
We provide our students with holistic academic and personal support services designed to assist with graduate school and career preparation, economic and financial literacy, and ultimately help students persist to graduation — and a successful career.
To qualify for the TRIO-SSS program, you must:
1. Be an undergraduate student enrolled at Wells College, working on your first bachelor's degree.
2. Have U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status.
3. Demonstrate a need for academic support (via a welcome meeting with a TRiO-SSS team member).
4. Be a first-generation college student*, and/or have lower income status**, and/or a student with documented disability***.
*The U.S. Department of Education defines a first-generation student as an individual whose natural or adoptive parents have not received a bachelor's degree; or a student that who, prior to the age of 18, regularly resided with and received support from only one natural or adoptive parent and whose supporting parents did not receive a bachelor's degree.
**The U.S. Department of Education defines a low-income individual as an individual whose taxable income did not exceed 150% of the poverty level amount in the calendar year in which the individual initially participates in the program. The poverty level amount is determined using the criteria of poverty established by the Bureau of the Census of the U.S. Department of Commerce. Students must provide a copy of their parent's income tax records.
***A student with a disability is defined as a person who has registered with Wells College's Office of Student Success and has the appropriate documentation from that office.
The TRiO Student Support Services program is open to any currently enrolled Wells College student who meets the eligibility requirements. Students must complete a brief application in order to be considered for acceptance into the TRiO program.
1. Submit your application using this online form.
2. Provide required federal tax documentation: parent/guardian’s federal tax 1040 forms for a dependent student, or individual federal 1040 tax forms for an independent student. (Following your initial application, a TRiO team member will contact you with further details on how to submit these documents.
3. Participate in a short interview with the TRiO-SSS Team.
4. Receive acceptance decision and agree to become fully engaged with the program.
5. Attend a welcome meeting within 30 days of acceptance.
6. Complete an in-person or online intake orientation.
Questions? Please don't hesitate to reach out to the TRiO Student Support Services team if you have further questions. (See "About Our Team," below.)
The TRiO Student Support Services professional team are dedicated and committed individuals who will assist you throughout your college career at Wells College. We believe in making a difference and having a strong impact on all students.
We welcome you to schedule an appointment to meet with us so that we can begin assisting you throughout your time at Wells College.