Members of the Wells community joined together for the 10th annual Employee Recognition Breakfast, a morning ceremony held in recognition of the accomplishments and contributions of faculty and staff. During the breakfast, President Gibralter recognized those who have reached milestone years of service and announced several special Awards for Excellence.
"This is a time to celebrate, to acknowledge what has been accomplished and contributed and to look ahead to what is possible," President Gibralter said. "We have many talented, focused and thoughtful people who work on this campus. To all of you, I offer the gratitude of the College herself."
The employees celebrating milestones were given gifts from the College. Those included:
5 Years of Service
- Michael Bowser, Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach
- Jack Daniels, Head Men’s & Women’s Cross-Country Coach
- Nancy Daniels, Assistant Cross-Country Coach
- Gehan Dhameeth, Assistant Professor of Business
- Steve Gelsi, Building Care Manager
- Mark Lucas, Lecturer for ESL & Head Volleyball Coach
- Kevin Miles, Director of Sullivan Center for Business & Entrepreneurship
- Dana Skinner, Help Desk Specialist
- Laurie Turo-Butler, Administrative Assistant for Academic & Student Life
- Hailey Uribe, Associate Director of Campus Life for Student Activities
10 Years of Service
- Jim Button, Working Grounds Foreman
- Brad Frazier, Associate Professor-Philosophy & Religion
- Dan Renfrow, Associate Professor – Sociology
- Gary Robertson, Instructor – Physical Education
- Michele Vollmer, Director, Advancement Services
- Bob Yager, Stationary Engineer
25 Years of Service
- Tukumbi Lumumba-Kasongo, Professor of Political Science
35 Years of Service
- Georgina Perkins-Denman, Custodian
Awards for Excellence
The Employee Awards for Excellence are chosen from community nomination. This year, four awardees were recognized for their commitment to the College and to our students. They were:
- Laura Burns, Director of Financial Aid, a leader and mentor for both students and staff. She manages her office with professionalism and knowledge and is an effective liaison for students and their parents who are navigating the financial aid process.
- Terri Culver, Office Manager for Admissions, who has served Wells for many years with limitless passion and optimism. She is known for finding ways to improve processes and volunteering her time outside of her own duties wherever she can help.
- Laurie Turo-Butler, Administrative Assistant for Academic & Student Life, who handles logistics with grace, panache, efficiency and friendliness. Her organizational skills and demeanor present an excellent face for Wells and those visiting campus.
- Barbara VanNostrand, Custodian, for high commitment and loyalty to Wells. Whether performing regular duties or navigating inevitable challenges throughout the day, she collaboratively resolves issues while keeping everyone involved and informed.
The College initiated the Employee Recognition Breakfast in 2009; the campus-wide Awards for Excellence were added in 2012. Each awardee will have their name added to a campus plaque.