Financial Aid Application Process

Invest in the education you deserve. See below to learn how to apply for financial aid!

The Net Price Calculator is a tool designed to give you an idea of how much and what types of financial aid you might qualify for.

It's not an official application for admission or financial aid, but will generate an estimated award package based on your own particular info.

Contact Us

Wells College Financial Aid Office
170 Main Street
Aurora, NY 13026
Phone: 315-364-3289
Fax: 315-364-3445

Merit and Federal Aid Application Process

New Students

To apply for federal and institutional financial assistance a student and their family must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Our federal school code is #002901. You can submit your FAFSA through one of two ways:

  • Complete the FAFSA electronically. Filing electronically shortens the time it takes schools to receive your information and lessens the chances for errors. The federal application web site is You and, if dependent, one parent must each have an FSA ID that will serve as your signature. The FSA ID is your identifier to let you access personal information in various U.S. Department of Education systems. Your FSA ID serves as your electronic signature and should not be given to anyone. Students and parents cannot share the same FSA ID. If you do not have an FSA ID, you can print out the signature page of the FAFSA and mail it to the federal processor. The FSA ID can be completed at any time at
  • Complete the paper FAFSA. Forms are available by contacting the Central Processing Center at 1-800-433-3243. Allow 4-6 weeks to process a paper application.

The Wells College FAFSA Grant: All first-year students who have been accepted to Wells College will receive a $500 FAFSA Grant provided they file a completed FAFSA to Wells by December 1. 

See a general overview of the FAFSA process here (provided by


FAFSA renewal can be completed electronically. If you are a renewal-eligible student who had a valid application the year before, when you enter your personal identifiers on the FAFSA website the federal processor will ask you if you want to pre-fill some of the application with data from the prior year. If you choose this option you can review each pre-filled item, correct any that has changed, and provide new information as needed.

Each year most students will automatically receive a renewal reminder by email from the federal government if they provided an email address in the previous application year, or by regular mail if they did not. Wells College also will send a reminder to all students in January who applied for aid in the current year. Returning students should file for renewal no later than May 1 for the upcoming academic year (Verification completion date is June 1). Wells College reserves the right to penalize any returning student with a reduction in their institutional grant if they apply beyond the deadline date. 

Transfer Students

Transfer students enroll after completing at least one semester's work at another institution, joining the Wells community either in the fall or spring semesters. As with all students, transfers can apply for federal, state, and institutional financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The federal school code for Wells is #002901. You and your parent, if appropriate, will need to obtain an FSA ID to serve as your electronic signature. You can apply for your FSA ID at The filing deadline is July 1 for fall transfer applicants and December 1 for spring transfer applicants.

Homeschooled Students

Submit a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for federal and institutional financial aid. Wells College's holistical application review process ensures that each and every one of our applicants is evaluated based on their unique individuality, not just their cumulative GPAs. As a homeschooled student, you will automatically be considered for one of our five merit-based scholarships, as well as more than 125 endowed awards. 

International Students

With their unique backgrounds and perspectives, international students are an invaluable part of the Wells College community and contribute to a global living and learning environment. To support international students in their pursuit of higher education in the United States, Wells College automatically considers every international applicant for a scholarship up to $15,000 towards cost of attendance. Award amount will be determined based on the student's academic record. International students in search of further financial assistance may benefit from researching scholarships from external sources. International students can also supplement their educational funding by working on the Wells College campus through the Office of Academic and Career Advising. Due to the limited number of available positions each year, we cannot guarantee that all students who apply will obtain employment. Under federal law, international students may not work off-campus during their first year of study, and can only participate in off-campus employment if specific criteria are met. Please read the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website carefully to understand all stipulations regarding employment for international undergraduate students in the United States.

FIling Deadlines

  • First-Year Applicants: December 1 (all accepted first-year students who file a completed FAFSA by this deadline will receive a $500 FAFSA Grant from Wells College)
  • Early Decision Applicants: December 1 (all accepted first-year students who file a completed FAFSA by this deadline will receive a $500 FAFSA Grant from Wells College)
  • Fall Transfer Applicants: No later than July 1
  • Spring Transfer Applicants: No later than December 1
  • Returning Students: May 1 for the upcoming academic year (Verification completion date is June 1)

While students can submit applications beyond these dates, it is highly recommended to file no later than the above deadlines to ensure quick processing. Wells College reserves the right to penalize any returning student with a reduction in their institutional grant if they apply beyond the deadline date. The federal government requires that students must have a processed federal aid application with an official expected family contribution on file before the student ceases enrollment to receive financial aid funds.

Billing Cycle

Bills are generated on or about July 1 for the fall semester and January 9 for the spring semester. Payment or payment arrangements are due August 1 and January 1, respectively. To coincide with our two-semester enrollment and billing cycle, student financial aid is disbursed in two equal disbursements. Federal regulations do not allow the financial aid office to disburse federal financial aid funds to student billing accounts any earlier than 10 days prior to the beginning of each semester. Please note that financial aid will not be disbursed until the student has returned their signed financial aid award letter and completed all verification, loan counseling, and loan promissory note requirements.

State Grant Application

New York State students initiate their TAP grant application when they file the FAFSA. If you did not successfully complete your TAP application at the time you filed your FAFSA you will receive in the mail a postcard from the state processing center outlining the application instructions. The TAP application can be completed online at Our New York State TAP code is #1050.

Students from Vermont can have their state grants transferred to Wells College. Application procedures for these grants may vary so we recommend you contact your state processing center for application instructions.

Part-Time Students

Wells College does not offer institutional merit or need-based aid to part-time students. If eligible under federal and state guidelines, a student may receive some forms of federal and state assistance.

Independent Students

Not living with your parents or not being claimed by them on tax forms, or your parents’ ability or willingness to pay does not determine your independent status. You must meet one of the following conditions to be considered an independent student:

  • You are 24 years old or older.
  • You will be enrolled in a master’s or doctorate program.
  • You are married.
  • You have children who will receive more than half of their support from you during the school calendar year.
  • You have dependents (other than children or spouse) who live with you and receive more than half of their support from you now and during the school calendar year.
  • You are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training.
  • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Services. You are considered a veteran if you have engaged in active duty or are a National Guard or Reserve enlistee who was called to active duty for purposes other than training, or were a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies, and was released with an honorable discharge.
  • From the time you turned 13, both your parents were deceased and you were in foster care or was a dependent or ward of the court. This condition applies even if you are no longer in foster care or a dependent or ward of the court.
  • You had no living parent (biological or adoptive) since you turned age 13, even if you are now adopted.
  • You are or you were an emancipated minor as determined by a court in your state of legal residence. You must be able to provide a copy of a court’s decision that as of today you are an emancipated minor or are in legal guardianship or you were an emancipated minor or were in legal guardianship immediately before you reached the age of being an adult in your state. The court must be located in your state of legal residence at the time the court’s decision was issued.
  • You were at any time from July 1 of the previous year determined by your high school or school district homeless liaison that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless.
  • You were at any time from July 1 of the previous year determined by a director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were at risk of being homeless.
  • You were at any time from July 1 of the previous year determined by a director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or was self-supporting and risked being homeless.

“Homeless” means lacking fixed, regular and adequate housing, which includes living in shelters, motels, cars, or temporarily living with other people because you had nowhere else to go. “Unaccompanied” means you are not living in the physical custody of your parents or guardian. “Youth” means you are 21 years of age or younger, or you are still enrolled in high school.

Each application for independent status will be considered individually. Wells College distinguishes between voluntary and involuntary independence for the purpose of institutional aid eligibility. If a student enters Wells College as a dependent student they will be considered dependent for all the years they attend unless an exception is granted by the director of financial aid in consultation with the dean of students.

Eligible Non-Citizen Students

The following students are considered eligible non-citizens, and will be considered for financial assistance and should file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):

  • U.S. Nationals
  • U.S. Permanent Residents with alien registration receipt cards (I-551 or I-551C)
  • Permanent Residents of the Northern Mariana Islands
  • Other eligible noncitizens with one of the following documents from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service: Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) showing (a) “Refugee,” or (b) “Asylum Granted,” or (c) “Parolee,” or (d) “Cuban-Haitian Entrant," or (e) the holder of a valid certification or eligibility letter from the Department of Health and Human Services showing a designation of "Victim of human trafficking."
  • An official statement that shows you have been granted asylum in the U.S.

If you only have a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you are not eligible for federal student aid. If you are in the U.S. on certain visas, including F-1 (or F-2) student visa or a G series visa, you are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Wells College promises a relevant liberal arts and sciences education. Intellectually challenging. Reinterpreted for today. Classroom teaching combined with hands-on learning. Wells graduates enter the world prepared for successful futures.

170 Main Street, Aurora, NY 13026
Admissions: 800.952.9355
General Information: 315.364.3266
© 2019 Wells College
Connect With Us
The following email addresses are a honeypot intended to test automated bots' ability to parse encoded addresses. Please do not contact these addresses.