College is all about learning who you are and what you’d love to do with your life. Whether you’re excited by all your academic options or simply not sure where to start, no worries! In the Wells Exploratory Program, you’ll have all the tools and support you need to find the best major for you.
Choosing Your Own Path
While some students enter college with a particular major in mind, lots of students are still figuring things out or just want to keep their options open. If you’re one of the latter . . . well, you’re in good company. About 15 percent of first-year students at Wells arrive undecided about a major. And nationwide, an estimated 75 percent of students change their major at least once before graduation.
In the Wells Exploratory Program, you’ll have up to three semesters to sample different courses and consider various career paths before choosing your major. Take time to deepen your understanding of topics you’re already passionate about, or try something new you’ve always wanted to learn—the choice is yours. Dedicated professional advisors and faculty mentors are here to provide as much or as little support as you need along the way.
Discovering Your Options
If you’re having a hard time deciding among subjects you love, or you want more firsthand experiences before narrowing your focus, the Exploratory Program will help you choose a major with confidence.
- Personalized, one-on-one advising begins before orientation. Dedicated professional faculty advisors will help you fill your schedule with courses that meet core academic requirements while matching your evolving interests.
- Your advisors will challenge you to think differently and point you toward eye-opening coursework, co-curricular experiences, and hands-on learning opportunities—including valuable job shadowing that you can do during your very first January break.
- In your first semester, you’ll take a special 3-credit course that introduces you to the Wells community; its many supporting services and academic programs; and your fellow first-year explorers!
- Additional resources in our Academic and Career Advising office will help you learn more about yourself while digging deeper into possible professions.
- You’ll also meet peer advisors who’ve been where you are and who can share their personal experiences and advice with you.
- Most exploratory students are on track to choose a major before they have earned 45 credit hours but will need to make the selection by the time they reach 60 credits. Usually, this occurs by the end of sophomore year.
Being undecided might feel a little overwhelming, but it’s also an exciting opportunity to discover new passions and design an inspiring future! Our talented faculty and professional advisors are ready to help you merge your hopes, dreams, and goals for your future into the perfect academic experience for you.