At Wells, the development of each individual student is supported through an exploration of how to understand the world in intellectual and personal pursuits and how to apply that knowledge in an interconnected and ever-changing world. The breadth of a liberal arts foundation, depth of focused knowledge, and a developed skill set prepare students for their futures.
1. Breadth of knowledge: Understanding the physical world, cultures, individuals, personal health and well being
2. Depth in field: Developing expertise in a chosen major field
3. Career preparation: Acquiring substantive and professional competence
1. Fundamental literacies
2. Critical thinking and application: The ability to use reasoning and evaluative skills in distinctive modes of inquiry and analysis
3. Ethical decision making: The ability to reason wisely and act humanely
4. Creativity: The ability to transcend established understandings to discover something new
5. Metacognitive: The ability to use self-reflective skills to understand what one knows, how one learns, and how to use resources effectively and to seek help
6. Skills and beliefs to navigate living and working in community
When Students Graduate
They leave as being lifelong learners with the ability and initiative to create, share, and apply knowledge prepared for the life ahead of them. They are aware of the responsibility they have to themselves and others to share the privilege of their education. With a communal consciousness, they are motivated to make a difference and improve the world around them. They understand the past and the present in order to envision the future.
In order for students to achieve the above learning goals, Wells College will:
1. Provide a student-centered learning environment
2. Provide a talented faculty and staff who create community, practice inclusiveness, and hold students and themselves to high standards
3. Maintain an infrastructure for the College that supports the learning environment both in and out of the classroom in terms of its facilities and technologies and managing the College's resources prioritizing teaching and learning.
4. Have clear policies and user-friendly procedures that meet the needs of the campus community
5. Provide a safe, congenial environment for all of its members
Institutional Core Values
As an institution of higher education, Wells College values:
1. Learning founded on challenging and intellectual inquiry, requiring active student engagement, done with honor, and resulting in a transformative experience.
2. Continuing emotional, intellectual, and social development which involves self-reflection and continual adaptation
3. Community and the relationships and social interactions built in community
4. An awareness and sensitivity to differences that encourages open-mindedness and responsible action
6. People as unique individuals