Renovations of Zabriskie Hall
Wells is renovating historic Zabriskie Hall as a high-tech, state-of-the-art learning space with a series of improvements to the interior of the building.
From the architect's proposal: "Zabriskie Hall is a beautiful, early twentieth century structure that can be a jewel of the Wells College campus. Stripping away the finishes and fittings from years of service as a science building will reveal the beautiful bones of the building. The high ceilings, classically symmetrical layout and details can be enhanced with fresh new finishes that complement the historic qualities of the building. We envision the transformation of Zabriskie into a showcase building standing at the gateway to the campus, with a function on the entry level that would create a compelling introduction to the campus."
Construction will be completed and the building will be open for classes and campus use in fall 2014. Some features of the newly-renovated, technology-rich Zabriskie Hall will include:
- An new home for the Susan Wray Sullivan '51 and Pike H. Sullivan Center for Business and Entrepreneurship
- The brand-new Institute for Sustainability and the Environment
- The College Store
- A café and lounge areas for studying or relaxing between classes
- New handicapped-accessible entranceways and elevator to each level
- A 49-seat lecture hall
- 24-hour copy center
- Social sciences laboratory
- Media Arts space for photography and videography
- State-of-the-art Macintosh and PC computer laboratories