The String Room Gallery is Wells College's premier venue for art exhibitions.
A serene, sunlit space located on the first floor of the College's Main Building, the room is complemented by a beautiful wood parquet floor, subtle track and natural lighting, and a large Arts-and-Crafts hearth with an ornate wood-and-ceramic mantle.
The 1600-sf gallery hosts five exhibitions each year. The wide range of exhibiting contemporary artists includes the trompe l'oeil ceramicist Eric Serritella, Canadian sculptors Rhonda Weppler and Trevor Mahovsky, photographer Joni Sternbach, ornithological artist Karen Allaben-Confer, and painter and printmaker Mary Ann Strandell.
Receptions are held on opening nights from 6 - 8 pm and attendees have an opportunity to meet and interact with the artists. Please see the exhibitions page for dates and details.
Twice a year, student artwork is exhibited: the Spring show features student work from the Fall, and the senior thesis exhibition is organized, installed, and presented each May by graduating studio art majors.
The gallery also provides space for intimate receptions and gatherings.
M - F, 12 - 5 pm
S SN, 1 - 4 pm
When classes are in session, the gallery is open during the above times. The gallery may also be open by appointment--please call 315.364.3465 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. All exhibitions and opening receptions are free and open to the public.
Assistant Professor of Art Katie Waugh teaches photography, painting, drawing, and video. She is a multi-disciplinary artist working in video, fiber, photography, drawing, and occasionally performance, to explore issues of social performativity and collective aspiration. She earned her MFA in Fiber & Material Studies from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago in 2010.
Professor of Art Theodore Lossowski is responsible for teaching all phases of ceramics, three-dimensional design and sculpture, and for the revitalization of the photography program. As an artist he creates minimal, abstract mixed-media sculptures. Lossowski earned his MFA in Ceramic Sculpture in 1977 from the School For American Crafts at Rochester Institute of Technology.
When the current Main Building was erected in 1890, the room was initially used as the College's library, with space for 2,500 volumes. After Cleveland Hall was built in 1911 to accommodate the library's expanding collection, the room became known as the Association Room and was a popular gathering spot for dancing and singing.
No one really knows for sure how the gallery was named: some alumnae claim that because live guitar music was often played there, the space was renamed the "String Room;" others say the "string" came from the room's then neutral color of paint. In any case, the space was converted into an art gallery in 1980 during inaugural celebrations for former Wells president Patti McGill Peterson.